Repository 32bit  Forum
Repository 64bit  Wiki

Slackware Current and Asus A6R - Too bad for Slack :-\

Scrivete su questo forum se avete problemi o volete dare buoni consigli sui computer portatili (Laptop).

Moderatore: Staff

Regole del forum
1) Citare sempre la versione di Slackware usata, la versione del Kernel e magari anche la versione della libreria coinvolta. Questi dati aiutano le persone che possono rispondere.
2) Citare il modello preciso del laptop in questione.
3) Leggere attentamente le risposte ricevute
4) Scrivere i messaggi con il colore di default, evitare altri colori.
5) Scrivere in Italiano o in Inglese, se possibile grammaticalmente corretto, evitate stili di scrittura poco chiari, quindi nessuna abbreviazione tipo telegramma o scrittura stile SMS o CHAT.
6) Appena registrati è consigliato presentarsi nel forum dedicato.

La non osservanza delle regole porta a provvedimenti di vari tipo da parte dello staff, in particolare la non osservanza della regola 5 porta alla cancellazione del post e alla segnalazione dell'utente. In caso di recidività l'utente rischia il ban temporaneo.

Slackware Current and Asus A6R - Too bad for Slack :-\

Messaggioda victorche » gio giu 01, 2006 21:21

It was a nightmare for me, trying to use Slackware Current on my new Asus laptop :(

I installed Current one hour after I took my new laptop from the store. And the problem began.
After the first restart... My DVD/RW stopped to work. /Samsung/
When I type mount /dev/cdrom
It just freezes... And the most strange thing - the DVD ROM didin't work even if I reboot the laptop and try to boot from a CD/DVD :shock:
I've tried with my Slackware Current Install DVD, With Windows XP SP2 installation disc, with Ubuntu 6.06 RC
Nothing...
So I thought the DVD is broken and I went back to the store... They took my one day old laptop and replaced it with a new one... With hundreds of excuses...
I went back home with the new one, took my Slackware Current install DVD out of the box and... The installation began... Lovely 2.6.16.18 kernel, KDE 3.5.2... And the first restart... And... The DVD was broken again :(

So I was really shocked! I was not sure can my Slack do this? Can it break my DVD somehow...

And I went back to the store... The salesman said "Hello", I told him about my problems... He took a Windows XP SP2 installation disc and.... it worked! Then he took an old Knoppix with 2.6.12 kernel... It worked! It loaded some modules like asus_acpi, battery.... I even had a battery indicator in the tray... Something I've never seen on this Asus or on my old Acer Travelmate :(

So the salesman said... "Your DVD ROM works nice, mister!... The old one works too... We've tested it in the service..." He meant the DVD ROM on the first Asus that I gave them back in the store... What a shame :(
Now I am not sure... I am holding my second Asus... Loading modules like asus_acpi and battery... But even with these modules I still don't have a working DVD... Or a working battery indicator... Nothing...
I am thinking of that old Knoppix... It did it! And my Slackware Current did not :-\
And the biggest problem is... Is it actually breaking the DVD ROM? The hardware itself I mean... I hope if I install Ubuntu or something... That I will have a working DVD ROM

Any ideas? Please tell me that Slackware can't work on this machine but please DON'T tell me that it can not work and it BREAKS the hardware...
victorche
Linux 2.0
Linux 2.0

Messaggioda ky » gio giu 01, 2006 22:12

Did you make a full installation? i mean, all packages from all series?
I have an asus z92j and it works greatly but i used slack 10.2 disks and upgrade it in current version, anyway your device can't be compromised by a dvd, imho ;)
However, It can be frozen by a bad support (you can't eject, right?).
Look at dmesg if there are some errors from your devices, then past /etc/fstab
For battery indicator, look at control centre in energy control section if you haven't allready do it.
kyra.
ky
Linux 1.0
Linux 1.0

Messaggioda gnubit » gio giu 01, 2006 23:27

I have an old A2 series with a 10.2 upgrade to current, a friend of mine have an A6 (AMD baseDd) before with 10.2 upgraded, now with zenwalk, another friend of mine have an A7D with 10.2 upgraded (only the tv wan't work).
gnubit
Linux 2.6
Linux 2.6

Messaggioda Paoletta » ven giu 02, 2006 9:44

you can also try to take a knoppix, boot and see what modules are used (with lsmod);then you can load them with slackware, and see if the DVD ROM works...
Paoletta
Staff
Staff

Slackware: 13.1
Desktop: fluxbox

Messaggioda absinthe » ven giu 02, 2006 10:26

well, as my trusted computer shop guy says: there are only 2 dvd producers in the laptop world: pioneer and matshita.
a lot of laptops work fine with slack (including my acer) so I *guess* that is almost impossible that slack distro can destroy your dvd-rom (is it a special device? I think it's acommon dvd for laptops). consider also that the kernel and NOT the distro manages the hw!
I think that Paoletta is right: boot a knoppix and have a look to loaded modules!

M
absinthe
Iper Master
Iper Master

Nome Cognome: Matteo Nunziati
Slackware: 12.1 - defunct
Kernel: 2.6.32-5-amd64
Desktop: gnome
Distribuzione: debian squeeze

Messaggioda Raistlin84 » ven giu 02, 2006 10:34

Well remember that if your dvd-rom is a SATA drive and your kernel is >= to 2.6.14 you must append to lilo the following line:
append = "libata.atapi_enabled=1"
Without this line your dvd drive will not be recognized.
Try this...
Raistlin84
Linux 2.6
Linux 2.6

Messaggioda Paoletta » ven giu 02, 2006 12:28

Raistlin84 ha scritto:Well remember that if your dvd-rom is a SATA drive and your kernel is >= to 2.6.14 you must append to lilo the following line:
Try this...

first of all try this!
Paoletta
Staff
Staff

Messaggioda victorche » ven giu 02, 2006 13:25

Wow! So many answers... Thanks a lot... Now I am using the laptop with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS /Booting it directly from the DVD without installing it on my HDD/...

The kernel is 2.6.16.18 /it was the latest in Current when I made my installation DVD /Now we have 2.16.16.19 in Current/... And yes, I have a full install...

That old Knoppix loaded some modules like asus_acpi, battery... The default kernel in /testing is built with these modules but anyway my Slack does not loading them during boot... I don't know why... So, I added those in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules by hand... I mean I added those lines at the end of the file:
/sbin/modprobe asus_acpi
/sbin/modprobe battery

But even with those modules the DVD/RW is not working :cry:
With dmesg I have something like:
broken interrupt /I am not so sure because now I am at work and my laptop is not here/

About the battery indicator... It is not showing also... In Control Center I have something like:
Your ACPI seems to be not fully installed. You have to enable at least Battery and AC Adapter in your kernel comfiguration...

The kernel is built with battery and ac_adaptor as modules... Anyway I can load battery but I can't load ac_adaptor

So no battery indicator also... And my Wireless is not working too... With Ubuntu it is working perfect :(

And finally...
Well remember that if your dvd-rom is a SATA drive and your kernel is >= to 2.6.14 you must append to lilo the following line:
Try this...

I am not sure, but I think my DVD ROM is SATA.... Well I think so. And the kernel is > than 2.6.14.... It is 2.6.16.18
So I can try it if you tell me where exactly to put this:
libata.atapi_enabled=1
?

About the hardware damage... I was asking because... I can understand if Slackware has a problem with this DVD... Or maybe it is a question of a missing module or something... But I can't understand how is it possible to reboot the PC, to load the BIOS, to change the setting and to make it boot from this DVD ROM... And when I insert a CD media... No matter if it is Windows installation disc, Slackware installation DVD, Ubuntu... It is freezing :shock:
I have to wait 20 or 30 mins... Then to insert a CD directly withOUT loading Slackware... IF I load it... The DVD is broken again... So, so, so strange :(
victorche
Linux 2.0
Linux 2.0

Messaggioda Paoletta » ven giu 02, 2006 14:15

I am not sure, but I think my DVD ROM is SATA.... Well I think so. And the kernel is > than 2.6.14.... It is 2.6.16.18
libata.atapi_enabled=1

in /etc/lilo.conf
Codice: Seleziona tutto
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda5
  label = Linux
  read-only
  append="libata.atapi_enabled=1"
# Linux bootable partition config ends
Paoletta
Staff
Staff

Messaggioda Raistlin84 » ven giu 02, 2006 14:16

Well you must append the string just after your configuration like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14
label=linux
read-only
root=/dev/sda5

other=/dev/hda1
label=Windows

It's only an example, your configuration can be different.
Bye!
Raistlin84
Linux 2.6
Linux 2.6

Messaggioda victorche » ven giu 02, 2006 22:57

Paoletta ha scritto:
libata.atapi_enabled=1

in /etc/lilo.conf
Codice: Seleziona tutto
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda5
  label = Linux
  read-only
  append="libata.atapi_enabled=1"
# Linux bootable partition config ends

I got your point but... No effect at all :(
Please, I need your help...
The kernel is 2.6.16.19 now /I made an upgrade hoping that this may solve my problem/... I have modules:
asus_acpi, button, battery...
Any other ideas?
When I try to mount it, the system hangs and dmesg says:
hdc: lost interrupt

That's all :-\
victorche
Linux 2.0
Linux 2.0

Messaggioda Raistlin84 » ven giu 02, 2006 23:54

Tryed another kernel version?
I use the 2.6.14. because 2.6.15 gives me many problem, i haven't tryed 2.6.16.
Raistlin84
Linux 2.6
Linux 2.6

Messaggioda Paoletta » sab giu 03, 2006 8:30

Paoletta
Staff
Staff

Messaggioda gnubit » sab giu 03, 2006 12:24

I'm not sure, but if the DVD is sata is easy to view.

Boot from Slackware with sata.i, look at the device of the cdrom during installation, if is EIDE will be hd(x) if sata sr(x).
gnubit
Linux 2.6
Linux 2.6

Torna a Laptop